Sunday, January 26, 2014

Life Away From SLC

I've been home for about a month now. Here are some highlights.

I am a barista at Starbucks, a waiter at Tachikawa (a sushi restaurant in my home town), and a "cable equipment operator" for Pinole Community Television. I'm bringing home money, not nearly enough, but enough to have a good time about once a week and enough to save up for a car in the near future.

Since I don't have a car, I've been biking to work every day. It's about 20 minutes to each job, and I am more or less fit. I carry everything I need in an intense outdoorsy backpack, and if I do say so myself, I look like a badass when I'm biking everywhere. That or homeless.

Working at Starbucks is wonderful and interesting. I am being trained and I am somewhat more competent at making drinks (although yesterday I was working drive-thru and I think I sold two mochas without coffee in them. Essentially, I handed out two hot chocolates). I am getting better. If you order a Frappe I will panic. But I will make your drink correctly. After asking a lot of questions from more experienced baristas.

Working at Tachikawa is also great. Tips are good, the lunch shift is manageable, and I get free sushi every day I work. There is very little to complain about. I have noticed when I am overwhelmed with customers I will sing to myself, which is soothing, but as I become more competent I am singing less out of stress and more out of pleasure. Also, a high point of my day is hearing a jazzy version of Rihanna's "Take a Bow" play in my restaurant (below). Every time this song comes on my mood improves by 10%.



Lastly, two videos I orchestrated came out since my last blog post. You can check them out below. I put together the "Happy" music video after my sister, Erin (http://syriouslyerin.wordpress.com/) put up her own music video at her school. The second video is something my friend Karloz and I did with my Grandmother. We tried learning how to cook dinuguan, a traditional Filipino dish consisting of pork cooked in its own blood. Delicious. I am told that my grandmother is the real star of the video, and personally I think the best moment is at 2:20 but you can watch the full clip below.



MOVIES SEEN RECENTLY (Rated on a scale of 1-10, 1 being poor and 10 being the best fucking thing I have seen in recent times):

  • Wolf of Wall Street, 10 
  • Her, 7 
  • Justin Bieber's "Believe", 10 - Ya'll need to calm down about Jbiebs getting arrested. People get arrested, it happens, one of my good friends was arrested for a DUI, I don't care if Jbiebs is going on a "downfall" I am still a fan of his music and his performance skills. Don't try to pick a fight with me about this kid because we all deserve to be treated with respect. John 8:7. Google it.) 
  • Frozen, 10 - Asher Roth once asked this question and after seeing this move, I now have an answer. 
  • Frances Ha, 1 - My sister recommended this movie to me and I am sorry I didn't like it. 
  • Inside Llewyn Davis, 10 - Great film, exceptional Cohen Brothers form, added some of the music from the movie to my Spotify 2014 playlist (which can be found in the sidebar). 
  • Blue Jasmine, 10 
BOOKS READ RECENTLY (rated on the same scale as above) 
  • The Ask, by Sam Lipsyte - 5 
  • Taipei, by Tao Lin - 10 (I know I rated this a 3 out of 5 in my Goodreads, but that's because rating something out of 5 stars is an entirely different game than rating something on a scale of one to ten. Also stars and points are different. Deal with it). 
KICKASS MUSIC I'VE HEARD RECENTLY 
  • "Forever" by Cap1 feat. Acehood - I was riding in the car with one of my cousins recently and she was playing some bumpin' jams from her CD player from a CD she had burned herself. I asked her where she found her music, and she said she just listens to stuff from "datpiff.com" and picks what she likes. I tried it and came up with "Forever" by Cap1 feat. AceHood which is a good song, not great, but is something I hum to myself when I am riding my bike to work. 
  • "r - Cali" by A$AP Rocky - Found this while browsing A$AP Rocky's Spotify page, and realized that it was from an album of original music from "Grand Theft Auto V". WHAT? I checked out the rest of the album, it's kind of lame, but this song is bumpin' and I dig it.
  • "Matches by Mac Miller feat. Ab-Soul  - A song that is fun to listen to and also way too relevant. 
Blah blah blah. Turning twenty-one this week. Should be interesting. My friends, family, and co-workers are worried for me. I hopefully will not get smashed. I do not plan on getting smashed. For the love of God, please, I don't want to get smashed. I just want to go to a bar and have a good time and be able to work the next day. Maybe I shouldn't go to a bar. This is the first time I've even entertained that option. Nope. It's my birthday. Gotta do it. 

Cheers and thank you. Here's a picture of me with my Monet calendar: 

Facing the wrong way. 

Facing the right way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment