Saturday, May 18, 2013

Free Stuff and Sob Coughs!

My friend Langston looked into a dumpster and found a Playstation 3. We all screamed like children, and he ran back to his room to see if it work. It did, for the most part, he's bringing it in for maintenance and repair, but the fact remains that he just got a three hundred dollar piece of equipment out of the TRASH.

Why? It's move out day!

People have been throwing out legitimate GOLD because they are moving out of their dormrooms this week.  I got an ottoman, a set of pots and pans, glasses, plates, a collapsable table, a cuisinart, a beanbag chair, a rug, bed risers, and much more FOR FREE (either through the equivalent of dumpster diving or generous friends).

OTTOMAN!
"But Connor, why are you getting all this stuff? Shouldn't YOU be throwing away your PS3 as well? Aren't you going home?"

Nope! I am living in the Sarah Lawrence apartments for $250 a month, working a 9-5 office job by day and cooking my own meals by night. I am so excited about this. My family is mailing me a couple recipe magazines, and I've been calculating my expenses to see how I can feasibly spend $30 a week on groceries (my mother says that it definitely can be done).

However, the idea of living on my own make me almost throw up at the beginning of the week. I had a housing meeting to discuss what living on campus would be like during the summer ("Pay your rent!") and when I left, I was dizzy and nauseous. I went to the Pub and found Kinsman there.

"Hey man, how are you?"

"Dizzy and nauseous."

I told him that I was worried that I wasn't going to make enough money to survive this summer and all of this other stuff, and eventually he just held me and I cried in his arms. I use the term "crying" loosely. It was more like controlled sob-coughs. And I did about five of them until I felt better.

We talked about money and he showed me that not only would I be able to make enough money to feed myself, I may even have enough left over to fly home in August.

I have great friends. He patted my back and sent me on my way.

GOALS FOR THIS SUMMER:
  • Re-establish my writing habit. 
  • Learn to swing-dance. 
  • Survive. 
  • Juggle with NYU students every Thursday! 
  • Archives! 

ARCHIVES! 
So, I've been wanting to work for Sarah Lawrence Archives all year. I stopped in at least five times asking if there were any job openings and unfortunately there weren't. I took it as a sign and gave up. But then I went to visit my sister at Syracuse and I sat in on her Information Technology course and I fell in love. I came back to Sarah Lawrence, went to Archives and said, "You know, I'd be just as happy doing volunteer work for you." 

They were supportive and skeptical. 

"What exactly about archives do you like?" they asked. 

"Well, I love organizing things. I clean obsessively, I make calendars for people, and I like arranging information in ways that make sense."

"Hm. I mean, we like organizing too but... it's weird to see it in students." 

They gave me the job, and I went in for my first day Friday (yesterday). They had me do data entry work all day and when I came out they eyed me closely. 

Archives: "How was that? Did you hate it?" 

Me: "Um... no, it was fine." 

Archives: "But you want a different job now, right?" 

Me: "Um... no. I want to come back." 

They seemed convinced that I hated data entry no matter how many times I told them that it was fine (for what it's worth, data entry isn't enthralling work but I can do it happily) and they shrugged their shoulders and told me to come back in and they'd teach me how to do other archives things. 

I am legitimately excited. They proposed that I do a research project about Sarah Lawrence just to get familiar with how their system works, so I've been writing down ideas in my notebook and daydreaming about going through the records to write an awesome essay. 

MY LIFE. 

That's about it. You will definitely hear more about my life from the Bronxville Bachelor Pad (aka "The Kitchen"). I have nicknamed my new living space "The Kitchen", because for the past two years I wanted to live somewhere with a kitchen, and now the time has finally come. I move in this coming Friday, and once I am all settled, this song will play: 

Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment