Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wikipedia

Wikipedia is an excellent pastime. I highly recommend that people take up the hobby of looking people up on Wikipedia because you really learn a lot. Here are some things I have been Wikipedia-ing lately: 

WILL SMITH
Will Smith is an incredible human being. I realized this one day when my friend Zac told me this Will Smith quote at breakfast. 

"The only thing that I see that is distinctly different about me is I'm not afraid to die on a treadmill. I will not be out-worked, period. You might have more talent than me, you might be smarter than me, you might be sexier than me, you might be all of those things you got it on me in nine categories. But if we get on the treadmill together, there's two things: You're getting off first, or I'm going to die."  - Will Smith 

It should be noted that Zac and I have been eating breakfast together since the beginning of the semester. It was cool at first, we talked about our lives and our families until there was nothing else to talk about. Wanting to continue our friendship, I decided that we should probably find something else to talk about, so we decided to become entrepreneurs and every morning we discuss business (this is a whole different story that will be noted in another blog post). This is a very competitive field, so we often try to find quotes to motivate ourselves when Zac stumbled across this little gem. It's terrifying, motivating, and an incredibly masculine quote from Will Smith that I hold near and dear to my heart.

This lead me to the Will Smith  Wikipedia page, which I recommend to everyone. Another highlight was a good solid paragraph on Will Smith's views on Scientology. I quote:
Smith has said he has studied multiple religions, including Scientology, and he has said many complimentary things about Scientology and other faiths. Despite his praise of Scientology, Smith said "I just think a lot of the ideas in Scientology are brilliant and revolutionary and non-religious"[34][35] and "Ninety-eight percent of the principles in Scientology are identical to the principles of the Bible.... I don't think that because the word someone uses for spirit is 'thetan' that the definition becomes any different."[36] He has denied having joined the Church of Scientology, saying "I am a Christian. I am a student of all religions, and I respect all people and all paths." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Smith)
This paragraph is ONE QUATER of the "Personal Life" section of Will Smith's Wikipedia Page. ONE FOURTH. I will summarize each paragraph to give you an idea of how Wikipedia decides to summarize Will Smith's personal life:

  1. Will Smith and his beautiful family life.
  2. Will Smith's wealth and philanthropy. 
  3. Will Smith's studies of religion, including Scientology. 
  4. More philanthropy. 
I really have no comments on this, but I mean... One fourth of his personal life. 

KEANU REEVES 
I may be late on this one (Sad Keanu meme reported existed in 2010) but another friend mentioned over breakfast "If you are ever feeling sad, read Keanu Reeves's Wikipedia page. It will put things into perspective." Keanu Reeve's Wikipedia page is incredibly sad (particularly the "Early Life" and "Personal Life" sections). I highly recommend checking it out. 


WIKIPEDIA RACES 
This isn't really something you can check out on Wikipedia, but it's a fun game for a Friday night (if you are a loser/have nothing else to do).

Materials: 
  • Two or more friends.
  • Laptops.
How To Play: 
  • One friend picks two unrelated pages on Wikipedia (e.g. "Uganda" and "Ralph Polo Lauren").
  • Each player opens their web browser and opens up one of those pages. (e.g. I pick "Uganda").
  • Someone yells "GO!" and each player has to try to get to the other Wikipedia page by only clicking blue links within the articles. (e.g. I have to click "Ugandan Fashion" and then "shirts" and then "shirt brands" and then "Ralph Polo Lauren". [Sidenote, it may not be that easy]). 
  • Whoever successfully reaches the opposing page first wins! 
The game can easily be made interesting with betting or some other creative consequence. I'm pretty darn good at it, but I think it's because I spend WAAY too much time on Wikipedia. 

That's it. I'm done. Go forth! Explore and learn. And if you so desire, die on a treadmill. 

Unrelated product placement!

No comments:

Post a Comment