Thursday, December 29, 2011

"Young Adult" Review and Acne

Whenever I read a book on writing or an article about a writer I am instantly interested and slightly biased to like what I read. Thus, it shouldn't be a surprise that I loved the movie "Young Adult" with Charlize Theron.

I went to go see the movie with my girlfriend's family, who are going through a movie marathon in preparation for the Academy Awards. And honestly, Young Adult needs to win something. But it never will because it's a dramatic comedy with little social significance. It focuses on the life of a woman who is stuck living life like it is still high school. She lives in Minneapolis and makes a living ghost writing for a young adult book series. She goes back to her hometown to try and win back the heart of her high-school boyfriend, which is where the movie begins. I will not spoil it for you, but I will tell you that I loved it and it inspired me to open my laptop and write while my girlfriend is out doing yoga.

I have been very busy this break, and I feel like I have a buildup of words that need to find somewhere to live. Which explains my super long previous post that I was reluctant to publish because it's really angsty and pointless, but I need to write something. I feel useless if I don't write. And today I just watched a movie about a failure of a woman who writes about high school for a living. I can TOTALLY be a writer, and it's time for me to hop back on the wagon as far as writing.

Don't get me wrong. I have still been writing observations and journal entries, but I haven't been able to sit down and organize it all. I am living my life day-to-day. "When are you going to be home?" My parents ask. "Not sure." I reply, and I am being totally honest. I am currently living on leftovers and Subway sandwiches, and spending most of my time out of the house.

I am also learning how to drive. Okay, I know how to drive, but I am doing a lot more of it. Gwenna lets me drive her around in her Prius, and she gives me helpful pointers on how to be a little more assertive on the road. My father always taught me to be a defensive driver, but with Gwenna I feel like I am learning the ways of the dark side... like speeding up to go through a stale green light before it turns yellow.

A note on my complexion: I don't think my complexion is bad, but I've had a couple monster zits over the past couple weeks. I have named them. First, there was Madeline, a huge, multi-bulbed, green pimple on the corner of my mouth. And as she died, Margot appeared half-a-centimeter away. And then there was Jasmine and Rosaline. I went to Peet's recently and I ran into my old biology/physiology teacher.

"Hey Connor... what's up with your complexion?" he squinted at my face. "Are you taking care of yourself? Getting exercise? Drinking water?"

I laughed it off and I told him that I loved college. I went home and my sister stopped me as I was going through the fridge.

"Auntie Carol stopped by. She dropped off some Proactive and told me to give it to you."
I couldn't believe  it. I can't believe it.

"Is it really that bad?" I asked my sister.
"Well... I've gotten used to it. So I don't think that it's that bad."

For your records, here is my face. You decide.

Click for an closer look at the war-zone. 

There are other random blemishes on my face that I don't even think are worth my attention. Honestly, I am not concerned with the zits on my face. Zits are natural.

"What is wrong with your face?" Asked my grandma. "You are eating to much fat. Or you are in love."

I will settle for the latter, which will make me feel a little bit better when I am washing my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment