Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving with White People

Today I visited my Grandfather for Thanksgiving. It was great to see him in such great health. Afterwards, we drove up to eat dinner with relatives from my dad's side of the family. I am used to celebrating Thanksgiving with my mom's side of the family. It usually goes something like this: Everyone brings a dish, we say grace around the table, and we all grab food and eat over the course of six hours in various parts of my grandmother's house. There is turkey, but there is a lot of Filipino food as well.

The Thanksgiving I attended today was quite different. I haven't seen much of this side of my family because they live on the East Coast, but not I was getting to know them relatively quickly. We all sat down at the dinner table, said grace, and ate for about an hour. Then we took a walk and returned for desert. And it was truly fantastic. The food was great (mashed turnips, brussel sprouts, stuffing, turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, etc.) andthe conversation was fantastic. My dad warned me that our family had a tradition of humor and wit, and today I witnessed it first hand. I laughed hard the entire evening.

I managed to make one of my cousins laugh once. We were eating pies, and there was a chocolate and caramel pie with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

"That's called Turtle Pie." my aunt pointed out. My cousin cut himself a piece and examined it.
"This pie is out of control." he said.
"Just like a turtle." I commented.
He laughed and added, "Yeah, when I see a turtle, all I can say is CALM DOWN!"

This was a pivotal bonding moment for me.

So now I am full and ready to sleep, and I am thankful to have such great family in all parts of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment