Friday, October 21, 2011

Exploring Boundaries

After my Early Childhood Development class in the morning, I went to the gym. Instead of going to just play with the machines, today I went with the intent to get healthy and to gain muscle.

I asked my roommate, Sebastopol (Sebas), how to use the elliptical.

"I think you just start peddling." he said.

He was right.

I spent 15 minutes on the elliptical, trying to find a setting that felt natural. The people next to me were jogging and watching TV, but I spent the entire time holding on to the railing and staring at myself in the mirror. Apparently I traveled 1.67 miles, but it felt like I was just stomping grapes for a quarter hour.

Next I lifted weights next to a really tall kid I am kind of familiar with. I went through my usual routine and then I tried to do some pull ups, but I was so worn out that I just hung there. The tall guy watched me, waiting for me to do a pull up, but I didn't. I packed my things and left.

I was pretty weak for the rest of the day. I dropped my phone a couple times because my muscles didn't want to do anything.

After a shower and a relatively successful Spanish class (one of my classmates totally misread our homework so we all laughed at her instead of at me), DC and I did our radio show, The Best Day Ever, which you can listen to every Thursday at 5:00 EST (http://pages.slc.edu/~wslc/Home.html click this, download the .pls file and listen via iTunes). This week's theme was "Guy/Girl Problems", so we all talked about our relationship horror stories and played relevant songs. Highlight of the show: Playing "A Bitch Iz a Bitch" by NWA and realizing halfway through the song that it was WAY too offensive for Sarah Lawrence Radio. We shut it down.

Afterwards I went to dinner and saw that saw some workers inflating an enormous structure that turned out to be a "haunted house", the kind you walk through and people jump out to scare you. The last time I was in a haunted house was in fourth grade. Long story short I kicked my best friend in the face and literally ran out of my shoes. I almost cried, and I decided that being scared wasn't my thing.

I didn't want to go into the haunted house at all, but I knew it would be great to blog about, so I went with Redwood City and Salem.

When I used to go to counseling during Senior year of high school, my therapist used to say that I turn my fear in to anger as a defense mechanism.

Fact: I was very afraid.
Fact: When I am angry, I am very sarcastic and snide.

This is what I sounded like while walking through the haunted house.

"OK. THANK YOU. REALLY? WOW! OK. THANK YOU. THAT'S NICE. MHM. GREAT."

That "WOW!" is when a guy with a plastic chainsaw popped out from behind a false wall. There were lost of strobe lights and masks and people crawling on the floor. One woman with no legs held out a plastic baby and asked me to take it. "REALLY? WOW."

There were a bunch of life size dummies blocking the exit that you had to punch to get out. I weaved through them because, even though they were fake, I didn't want to hurt them. "EXCUSE ME. OK. THANK YOU."

Now I am riding an adrenaline rush. It was a well spent 5 minutes.

Tonight I learned that Sarah Lawrence is having a Ballroom Dance/Mixer with West Point Military Academy. This is hilarious to me, and I am signing up to attend. Ohio is helping me find a bow tie.

***

A SIDE NOTE: I have started a Twitter account for things that Ohio says. He is aware of this and has told me he's fine with it. You can see his most recent quotes in the sidebar to the right, but if you would like to follow him, here is the link (http://twitter.com/#!/ohiosays).


No comments:

Post a Comment