Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Accidental Vegetarian

Today I accidentally became a vegetarian. The school has a high population of vegetarians/vegans, so they try to accommodate them by making it easy for them to find food they can eat. It turns out it is a little bit too easy. Here's what I ate today:

  • Oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar. This was delicious. I officially love raisins in my oatmeal. 
  • Roma Tomato/Mozzarella Sandwich. Ohio recommended it. It was gross. Instead of meat, there is a burger-sized hunk of cheese with tomatoes on either side.  
  • Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich. Made this in this room. Call me "chef" from now on. 
  • Tikki Masala Microwavable Dinner. They sell these in the Pub. It's rice and garbanzo beans covered in a special sauce. You microwave it for 4 minutes and eat it. It's not great. 
Today I worked with the kids again. I made friends with the other teacher's assistants today, basically because I could point to the kids and name the celebrity they resemble most. The other assistants got a kick out of this. "How do you do that?" they ask. The truth is, that's all I've been thinking about for the past three weeks of watching the kids. 

But in all seriousness, I have been studying them closely. I am reading a book on "How to Study Children in their Natural Habitat". There are actually codes for every activity a child does. For example, when a child expresses an opinion, that is called a "T6". When a child "copes effectively with social restraints", that's an "I1b". And when a child ignores you, it's an "R1". 

I can't wait to be a father. 

"Good job I1b-ing, Dennis! You are coping so well!... HEY, DON'T YOU DARE R1 ME!"

Did a massive load of laundry today, so I should be good for another week. There are no more boogers on my clothes. At the Early Childhood Center today, I maneuvered my way through the children like I was playing dodgeball. They are all sick and mucousy. But thankfully all of their coughing and sneezing is at about knee length, so I think I am safe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment