Sunday, September 25, 2011

Missing Trains

Today I spent most of my morning transcribing bits of a two-hour long interview for my oral history class. It was tedious, and when I was done I needed adventure. I printed out a ticket* for the Museo del Barrio and set off to the train station with a floor-mate, Madison, to have an adventure.

*Ok, technically I e-mailed the ticket page to Madison and she printed it from her room. She was giving me flack, saying I was "lying" in my blog post. I was keeping it simple. The story is still true, even if I lie a little bit. 

MISSED 3:25pm TRAIN TO GRAND CENTRAL
Went to Slave To The Grind to kill time until next train. I got a Vanilla Chai Something (recommended by Madison) and I confused the Barista by giving him too many bills.

CAUGHT 3:55pm TRAIN TO GRAND CENTRAL

ARRIVED AT GRAND CENTRAL
Walked to Subway terminal. Swiped my Metro Card five times through the scanner before realizing I was swiping it the wrong way.

MISSED THE 6 TRAIN IN SUBWAY
Madison held open the door for two old, chubby women. They got in. We didn't.

CAUGHT THE 6 TRAIN IN SUBWAY
The car was packed with people. The human friction made me paranoid about being pick-pocketed. Had top give my wallet to Madison for safe-keeping.

MISSED OUR STOP AT 103rd STREET.
Conversation got a little too involved, and we forgot to get off the car.

DISEMBARKED 6 TRAIN AT 110th STREET.
Figured we'd walk extra blocks to get to the museum. Found ourselves in a neighborhood where people looked at us weird because we were white-ish. Tried using Madison's iPhone to find our way, but it was not smart enough. Took wrong turns often.

ARRIVED AT MUSEO DEL BARRIO
Arrived at 5:40pm, and the museum closed at 6:00. Spent twenty minutes interpreting as many pieces of art as possible. Highlights: Bedazzled rug with soda cans hanging from it, police car made of black napkins and tin foil.

CAUGHT SUBWAY BACK TO GRAND CENTRAL
Only mistake-free public transit ride of the day.

ARRIVED AT GRAND CENTRAL
Started walking in the right direction, doubted ourselves, walked in wrong direction, double-checked the iPhone, then headed in the correct direction.

Walked two miles in high spirits, or possibly denial. And saw a lot of brides and heard a lot of marriage bells. Is today "National Get Married Day?"

MET UP WITH A FRIEND OF MADISON'S
Madison's friends goes to NYU, so we met her outside her dorm at Washington Square Park. Saw the epic arch, not sure what it is called, but there was a guy playing guitar and singing. He was great, but he looked like an anorexic version of James Blunt. And he sounded a lot like Matt Costa.

DINNER
Ate at a place called "Caliente". I had an "El Dorado Quesadilla". We shared stories about roommates and floormates.

NYU VISIT
Went to the dorm of Madison's friend. Her roommate is named Connor, but she is a girl.

WASHINGTON SQUARE PARK
There was a flash mod kind of thing going on. There were hundreds of people in the park fighting with lightsabers. It made my day, except for the creepy guy with a red light saber and yellow contact lenses that wasn't fighting but walking around and smiling at people. Anorexic James Blunt was still around, and he was dancing while playing guitar now. It was impressive.

Met more NYU students. One guy, Broken Wrist, was incredibly witty and I wanted to be his friend but I was intimidated by his confidence and intelligence. I listened to him talk in awe. Every joke was amazing.

MILK BAR
Walked to MomoFuku Milk Bar in the East Village. I ordered Cereal Milk Soft Serve, which is basically ice cream made from milk infused with corn-flake residue. It was like someone made a bowl of corn flakes, sifted out the cornflakes, and made ice cream. It was delicious. Unlike anything I have ever eaten, but still strangely familiar.

NYU DINING HALL
Said goodbye to Madison's friend and the NYU kids. I sort of messed that up.
"It was nice meeting you." I told Madison's friend.
"It was VERY nice meeting you." I told Broken Wrist.
Everyone looked at me like oddly. Friendship chance with NYU kids just got smaller.

OUTSIDE
I tried hailing a cab because I have never done so before and thought it would be an incredibly masculine thing to do, but I didn't have to because one was already parked and ready to go. I need to hail a cab soon to prove I am a man. The taxi took us to Grand Central, where we planned to catch the 11:15pm train.

MISSED THE 11:15pm TRAIN TO BRONXVILLE

BOARDED THE 11:45pm TRAIN TO BRONXVILLE
Madison is has a First-Year-Study in Poetry, so she worked on some poems while I wrote the outline for today's blog.

When we got back to Westlands, Ohio was standing outside, looking disheveled and sweaty.

"Guys, I think I have the flu."

A great way to end the day. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment